When do I need to provide licenses for my music?

Last updated on
November 15, 2023

You need to provide licenses for your music in these situations:

  1. Using Someone Else's Work: Whenever you use someone else's work in any capacity, you need a license. This includes using parts of another song, melodies, lyrics, or any other elements that are not originally yours.
  2. Cover Songs: For all cover songs distributed through Unchained Music, you must have a mechanical license. This is a legal requirement to ensure that the original creators are compensated and credited properly. You can get a mechanical license here for cover songs.
  3. Samples in Your Music: If we suspect that you are using samples in your music without permission, we will request licenses for those samples. It's important to have permission for any sampled content you use in your tracks.

Always make sure you have the right licenses before distributing music that includes work created by others. This is crucial to avoid legal issues and to respect the rights of the original creators.

Looking for tips in the music indutry? 

Check out the Unchained Artist Academy.

Still looking for support?

Response times by plan:
Core Tier
5 Business Days
Grow Tier
3 Business Days
Pro Tier
2 Business Days
< 24 Hours