When do I need a license for my samples, cover songs, and remixes?

Last updated on
November 23, 2023

Here are the situations in which you typically need a license for each of these scenarios:


  1. Using copyrighted material: When incorporating samples of copyrighted music, sound recordings, or other audio elements into your own music, you generally need a license from the copyright owner or their authorized representative. This applies even to brief snippets of copyrighted songs.
  2. Fair use exception: In some cases, limited use of copyrighted material may qualify as "fair use" under copyright law. However, fair use is a complex legal concept and should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Consulting with a legal professional is advisable to determine if your use qualifies as fair use.

Cover Songs:

  1. Creating a cover: When recording and releasing a cover version of a copyrighted song (performing someone else's song in your style), you typically need to obtain a mechanical license. This license grants you the rights to reproduce and distribute the cover song. You can obtain a cover license here.


  1. Creating a remix: If you are creating a remix of a copyrighted song (altering or reimagining an existing song), you typically need permission from the copyright owner or their authorized representative. This often involves obtaining both a mechanical license and a master use license (for the use of the original recording).
  2. Sampling in remixes: If your remix includes samples of the original recording, you must clear those samples with the appropriate rights holders.

Looking for tips in the music indutry? 

Check out the Unchained Artist Academy.

Still looking for support?

Response times by plan:
Core Tier
5 Business Days
Grow Tier
3 Business Days
Pro Tier
2 Business Days
< 24 Hours