What licenses do I need to remix a track?

Last updated on
November 23, 2023

To remix a track, you generally need two types of licenses:

  1. Master Use License: This is to use the original recording. You need permission from the owner of the recording, which is often a record label or the artist themselves.
  2. Copyright License: This is for the composition of the song, which includes the melody and lyrics. You need to get this license from the publisher or the songwriter.

Getting both of these licenses is important. They give you legal permission to create and distribute your remix. Without these licenses, your remix could be considered copyright infringement. Remember, it's always best to get these permissions in writing to avoid any misunderstandings or legal issues.

Looking for tips in the music indutry? 

Check out the Unchained Artist Academy.

Still looking for support?

Response times by plan:
Core Tier
5 Business Days
Grow Tier
3 Business Days
Pro Tier
2 Business Days
< 24 Hours